neděle 3. května 2015

PAY ATTENTION TO STEREOTYPES!

Why stereotypes harm society? Where the stereotypes come from? Why we should pay more attentiton to them? How stereotypes concern me? 

Stereotypes are a big problem in our society. It puts labels about how a person should act or live according to their sex, race, personality, and other facts.

Take a second and try to think about how many people made bias about you? For myself I can give you thousands of examples.  When I was a child, my most favorited toys were cars. Of course that many people thought that I was a boy, because my clothes weren't pink. Many friends of my parents said that something is wierd with me (because I actually had not any doll or Barbie). Move foward from my childhood - on the secondary school were my most favourited subjects Math, IT and Graphics, so among my friends I was superstrange... why? Yes, I love hockey, love driving cars, love sports and I am a "normal girl". I cannot count times when someone tried to explain me something on the computer and I said "Yes, I understand very well, I can do it" but this person kept explaining!!

These are just superficial examples. Stereotypes involve many other things in people's lives which cause problems and are more serious than my examples from everyday life. Stereotypes leads to racism, sexism, discrimination, prejudices ect.

Why people think that blonde girls are more stupid than brunettes? Why women should not be a scientist, politicans and men teachers in nursery? Why men should not do a ballet and women play rugby?
Because these people are in minority. And everything what people do in minority is wierd. They are different. They fall out from the stereotypes that we know about people. Stereotypes drives people away from to be themselves, it makes people feel as though they must fit in to a certain category, to dress, talk, walk a certain way, it shapes the way in which one lives.


George Robles says: "Many of the stereotypes the children receive are through media. We can't change this bacause is the way our society works, but we can teach our children to value other people for what they are, not what they appear to be."

Another beautiful reaction to stereotypes: " A blind person cannot judge a person by the way they look. Perhaps we should "see" the world as a blind man."

We should stop judge people because how they look and appear. We all should stop want to fit in some given category. Forget for a while about your sexuality, race, age, culture and gender and do what do you want, what makes you happy and support other people who will do the same.

What do you think about stereotypes and society? Is it something that should be discussed, or it is not problem at all? Leave a comment!

Eli.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat